Monday, June 1, 2015

Discipline?

"A true discipline is never a restriction, only an affirmation… not oppression, but a joyous concentration of energies!"~david spangler


Well - this is news to me! I am an artist with a creative spirit which cannot be rangled or contained. Yup - this is how I have always classified myself. I am a seeker of original new thoughts and a rejector of the disciplines of regular everydayness.

 
But what if…could it be true that that which I commonly relegate to the ash pile, Discipline, is not a cage but a liberator? Got to think about this...my brain hurts.

Have you ever wondered "What the hell am I doing here?" or "How is this going to end?" or "What is my purpose?" These BIG questions are tacked and stacked three deep on the bulletin board of my frontal lobe because I want answers. And I always want them NOW!

But these answers are not easily got from a well trained mind, much less the vacant grassy field of my brain. So, for me, these power questions are asked and then just let go of… not because they are unanswerable, but because they are unanswerable right now and they are unanswerable by the intellect. Rainer Maria Rilke says...

"Be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and try to love the questions themselves, like locked rooms and like books that are now written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer."

Having an experience of equal parts discipline and serendipity is important to me. This balance evens everything out and does one more thing!

Equanimity between organization and uncertainity opens a door through which new light can shine. My discipline of honoring chance   balanced with joyful effort teases forward my path; a path wide open to possibility, a path presently unimaginable, a path greater than mine own eyes can see.

This boundlessness in front of me excites my everydayness!

How do you create enthusiasm?
Tag You're It!

No comments:

Post a Comment