Thursday, March 17, 2016

Newly Minted Butterfly



"The people of this world are like the three butterflies in front of a candle's flame.

 The first one went closer and said, ' I know about love.' 

The second one touched the flame lightly with his wings and said, ' I know how love's fire can burn.'

The third one threw himself into the heart of the flame and was consumed. 

He alone knows what true love is." 

~rumi

The yellow splashed monarch girl swirls back sideways then across and down and I wonder what it is like to be a newly minted butterfly? Seems she is both aimless and joyful as she flits past me on her first butterfly day of this almost springtime. Is she missing her multitude of caterpillar's feet bouncing on air trying out her new wings? I wonder if she still has her caterpillar eyes; if this is her maiden voyage out and about? 

What is it like to know so well how to slink, crawl and stick slowly forward from branch to leaf and have new 'fucking' wings to deal with at the same time? I know something of losing my footing. But I know little about finding out I have wings. 

How is it to awaken from a long cold dark night, unfurl your sails, and let the wind catch them and carry you away. That effortless first flight must feel so abnormal! Can a butterfly scream? Can she fly and see herself flying at the same time? 

I wonder what it is like to be a newly minted butterfly letting go of her past and floating on air? She doesn't eat the same things she used to eat either. Munching leaves seems to be impossible now. Is she worried she will starve to death right before she accidentally bumps into her very first flower, proboscis extended, having her first taste of nectar so sweet?

It must be a time of great confusion and amazing discovery all at once... I guess I do know a little about what it is like to find out I have wings. And, now that I think about it - yes I can fly and see myself flying at the same time. For this awareness I am grateful. It helps to carry me higher and farther than I have ever been before. And I scream a lot less now!


Have you ever experienced the awkwardness of finding out you've got wings?

Tag! You're It!


No comments:

Post a Comment