Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Full Engagement

Peacocks of Chatham County, 21" x 27" Watercolor


There is a way to manufacture a life so it sits up straight and eats it's vegetables, but I want more. There is a way to place yourself on a positive path by counting your blessings and recognizing the good things that are right in front of your nose, but I want more. 

I want to be engaged! 

"Engagement" is a word bandied about in the Social Media Basics for Business class I am currently taking. The class is full of terrifically warm and passionate people looking to learn how to tame or at least ride this phantasmal beast. But I am not sure full engagement can be found on the Internet. On social media Engagement is quixotic currency, defined differently by each platform sometimes open sometimes not, used to propel your carefully (or not so carefully) curated presence outward into the matrix. Engagement here is a calculus, an algorithm -  a game of numbers distilled from SQL code and CRM customer relationship management.

And I know it is not fair to compare business intentions with more soulful intentions, but who said life was fair?

I want to be fully engaged.

I want to be IN LIFE, feeling it's pulse and riding it's waves with full and complete knowing. I want to employ all of my senses - those five we learn about in grade school that allow us to take in all things material. And those six more subtler senses of will, reason, perception, memory, imagination and intuition - which are scarcely recognized, much less developed in these here United States. 

All these resources, tangible or not, are ripe and ready and always available. And they are FREE. All we have to pay is our attention.

I want these sensibilities to place me in that time and space called NOW. And I want NOW's electric energy - with all it's unlimited possibilities - to see my soul through toward loving and expressing and learning and serving.

Is this too much to ask?

Tag You're It!

No comments:

Post a Comment